February’s gaming sales a mixed bag: up for the month, down for the year
At this point, every time NPD releases its numbers, the video game industry collectively holds its breath. The last couple of months have not been kind, as hardware sales continued to drop. But, in February there was finally some good news — console sales were 87 percent over January. More impressively, that jump only falls to 62 percent if you exclude the Vita. Still, after so many disappointing months, even that stratospheric jump left sales 18 percent lower than the same period last year. Even when taking software into account sales were down 20 percent — with the industry as a whole raking in just $ 1.06 billion last month, down from the $ 1.33 billion the previous February. Individually there was good news for companies, though. Nintendo saw Super Mario Galaxy cross the five million mark, while all of its consoles (the DS, 3DS and Wii) all saw more than 50 percent spikes in their sales compared to January. Meanwhile, Microsoft held on to its number one slot by moving 426,000 Xbox 360s. Hit up the various source links for more info.
- PC Gaming Alliance Announces Record PC Game Sales in 2011 – PC Perspectives
- US auto sales poised for another year of growth – The Associated Press
- Auto industry finishing year with best sales since 2008 – USA TODAY
- US auto industry to post another good sales year – CanadianBusiness.com
- US Auto Industry to Post Good Sales Year – TIME
Short URL: http://techno-magazine.com/?p=11972